Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Distant Relative of Teddie's?

As if I weren't taking care of enough cats...

This kitty has been showing up behind our office, meowing loudly. It does appear to be well fed and has been neutered (you can see that its left ear has been tipped) but since I've been putting out food he/she has clearly decided Piedmont GYN/OB is a great place to dine.


I've decided to call him Moggie, a "term used in Great Britain to describe a domestic non-pedigreed cat. Also used as an affectionate term for "stray" cats."  I've also decided to call him a him unless I find out otherwise. He's quite big for a stray and is black until you look closely. Some partially hidden stripes make me think that one of his parents was a Mackeral Tabby (like Tippy and Morrie.)

Since Moggie seems to be thriving I feel no need to intervene other than to keep his bowl full. I enjoy knowing he's around and his loud demands make me smile. The girl who works in the back office says he's loud enough that she can hear him through the window. She just yells, "Hey Ing, your cat's here" and he waits till I can dispense the turkey & giblets. When convenient I will probably come by on weekends but I will do my best not to get sucked in by this kitty. He was doing well before I started up with him and I know he'll manage if I'm not around. Plus, several of the girls in the office know where I keep the cat food...    :-)

4 comments:

Tita said...

I'm so happy to see that you are setting boundaries for yourself. Good job mom.

Gabriel Beal said...

Does he let you pet him? I can bring home some Revolution for him to treat fleas, ear mites, parasites, etc., but you have to be able to put it on his skin.
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

No, I can't get any closer than 10 yards away... yet.

Ingrid said...

Laura (ultrasonographer) and I tried to call him "Moggie". It sounded awful. She started calling him "Moxie" instead. It sounds better and he fits the definition - one who is courageous, has vigor and know-how. As a survivor he's all of that and more.

He was sunning himself on top of the brick wall, all stretched out to maximize exposure. When someone went in or out of the door he didn't even lift his head.